The Sea Bass at Koi is delicious. If you ever wanted to cook like they do at Koi, now you can. Recently, Redbook published a Nick Haque Koi recipe on their website. We are very excited to share the recipe with you.
Steamed Chilean Sea Bass
6-7 oz. Chilean sea bass
4-5 pieces julienned ginger (matchstick size)
½ cup thinly sliced shitake mushrooms
5 cilantro Leaves
½ scallion thinly cut on the bias
2 cherry tomatoes cut in half
1-2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame chili oil (if you can’t find it, sesame oil will work)
Garnish with coriander sprouts or 2-3 cilantro leaves
1. Place sea bass, in casserole dish small enough to fit inside steamer basket, and top with ginger and shiitake mushrooms. Place inside steamer basket over simmering water and cover. Let steam for 15-20 minutes or until fish is cooked.
2. Meanwhile heat sesame oil until it begins to smoke. Turn off heat and place to the side (to be used at end).
3. Remove casserole dish from steamer and place Sea Bass and mushrooms, saving the cooking juices that developed, in serving bowl.
4. Pour the cooking liquid on top.
5. Place the cherry tomatoes around the sea bass and add soy sauce. Top sea bass with cilantro, scallions and drizzle hot sesame oil on top of the greens releasing their aromatics and oils.
6. Garnish with coriander sprouts.